Position: Senior Public Relations Manager (Part-time)
Location: Cincinnati, OH or Remote
Supervisor: Director of Marketing Communications
Summary of Contract Role
KnowledgeWorks, a national non-profit organization dedicated to advancing personalized learning that empowers every child to take ownership of their success, is looking for a part-time, temporary Senior Public Relations Manager for a 10- to 12-week contract from mid-September through late November 2018. This contract role will support the organization’s media relations activities both nationally and locally in the Greater Cincinnati region, helping to elevate KnowledgeWorks’ brand position, staff expertise and the impact of personalized learning.
This role will also provide temporary local media relations support for StrivePartnership, a subsidiary of KnowledgeWorks working to unite leaders from various sectors to support every child, every step of the way, cradle to career in the urban core of Greater Cincinnati.
This role can be remote but will require periodic visits to the KnowledgeWorks office in downtown Cincinnati. Estimated commitment of 20-30 hours per week.
- Pitch stories to national and local media. Achieve highest visibility in print, broadcast and online media outlets.
- Develop clear and compelling pitch letters, press releases and bylined articles and guest blogs.
- Field and evaluate incoming media request and delegate accordingly.
- Facilitate media relations for periodic local education events and serve as on-site media contact.
- Maintain media contact lists.
- Measure/track results of PR programs via Cision media tool.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of communication plans and event strategies.
- 3-5 years of experience in media relations.
- Proven record of securing media placements and developing beneficial media relationships.
- Experience working with education media and existing relationships with national education publications and/or local Cincinnati media strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or related field.
- Training as a print or broadcast journalist with a “nose” for the story.
- Training and experience in how to tell a story using words, images, video and/or audio and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
- Skilled at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation and distribution strategies and tactics.
- Excellent writing ability, knowledge of AP style and experience writing for a variety of media.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, 3-5 examples of past media relations results and references to Emily Smith, Director of Marketing Communications at email@example.com.
KnowledgeWorks is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing personalized learning that empowers every child to take ownership of their success. With nearly 20 years of experience exploring the future of learning and partnering with schools and state and federal policymakers, our passionate team believes in working together to create a system-wide approach to grow and sustain studentcentered practices. Through customized professional development, in-depth research such as the Future of Learning Forecast™ and federal education policy guidance and state-level ESSA implementation support, KnowledgeWorks has created opportunities for more than 135,000 students in 20 states through competency-based learning and early college. www.knowledgeworks.org