Title: EXTERNAL AFFAIRS SPECIALIST
Summary: Responsible for supporting Metro’s External Affairs department by assisting in the management of strategy, planning and tactical execution of communication projects and programs through social media, community engagement, public relations support and special events.
- Social Media: Ongoing support of social media to advance Metro’s objectives and build engagement, including creating strategy and development of editorial calendars, posting daily on multiple platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and other emerging platforms), enhancing engagement with followers and influencers through creative, entertaining and informative content. Regular social media measurement reporting.
- Public Relations: Assist with public relations efforts as assigned including media monitoring, preparing daily news report, writing news releases and feature articles, pitching stories to the media, editing, posting to community calendars and contributing to programs and campaigns that enhance Metro’s image in the community. Provide background information to media. Serve as backup spokesperson.
- Community Engagement: Assist with the execution of community outreach and education programs to support Metro’s objectives. Actively seek community involvement opportunities and partnerships. Serve as a point person for advisory teams and committees.
- Special events: Recommend, implement and staff special events to reinforce Metro’s image in the community.
- Website: Assist with posting and suggesting website content that will effectively communicate and market to current and potential customers.
- Video production/editing: Creatively shoot, edit and script informational and entertaining videos that support Metro’s efforts to educate, inform and attract riders that can be used across various platforms.
- Ability to suggest and implement ideas and programs to enhance branding, marketing and public relations efforts.
- Provide a positive work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran.
- Ability to work in compliance with Metro's security policies.
- Communications - Excellent verbal, writing and non-verbal skills. Strong editing and proofreading skills, familiar with AP style guidelines and public relations writing. Persuasive, consensus builder, good public speaker.
- Leadership - Energetic, proactive, committed to continuous improvement and creative thinker and problem-solver.
- Professional Integrity - Exhibits and values commitment, leadership, accountability, diversity, honesty, fiscal responsibility, and the ability to maximize resources.
- Proficiency - Able to multi-task, plan and measure results, create and analyze data, excellent computer skills, accuracy and attention to detail, excellent project management and organizing skills. Understands the digital landscape and the importance of social media. Web content management and video editing experience and general photography knowledge a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree (four year college or university) in Public Relations, Multi-Media, Communications, Marketing or related degree.
- Three or more years related experience. General public relations writing and in-depth social media experience. Web content management experience a plus.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Computer Skills
- Social media platforms, AV equipment, Microsoft Office
- Social media expertise
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Experience with photography, presentations
- Must be available to attend weekend or evening events
- Office atmosphere; job requires community outreach.